Monday, April 19, 2010

My Work

I love being a stay-at-home Mom.

But that doesn't mean that I never wonder what it would be like to still be a successful, employed, money-earning adult. And honestly, sometimes I miss it.

Not the getting up early or rushing around part. But the sense of accomplishment, sometimes.

And I know what I do at home is important, but sometimes, it's just a lot harder to measure.

...

This afternoon when I was sitting by Holden's crib waiting for him to fall asleep for his nap, I was reading a little book called Meditations for New Mothers by Sandra Drescher-Lehman. Honestly, I got this book in the hospital when Holden was born, but I've just recently even opened it. And I think there was a reason I was led to look through it now.

It's just a small book of short, one-page, daily meditations. There's a short story/thought, a bible verse, and a sentence prayer/meditation.

There's been many that have brought tears to my ever-emotional eyes, but one I read this afternoon really spoke to my heart. And I just wanted to share it quickly. In case there are any other stay-at-home mothers (even if just for maternity leave) who have ever felt this way, too.

...


Valuing my Work

"What did you do today?"

I used to love to be asked that question. I took pride in my busyness and productivity. Now it's a question I hate. What I do now can't be calculated like most people measure tasks. I'm busy all day, but I don't have much tangible evidence to remind me of what I did, much less to recount to someone else.

I was a mother today. I loved today, not always perfectly, but I did love. I didn't earn any money today, but I did contribute to the good of the world. I was a mother.


____________

Thank you, God, for
giving me so valuable a job.

____________

Do your best to present yourself to God as one approved by him, a worker who has no need to be ashamed. - II Timothy 2:15
...

No comments:

Post a Comment